Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Explorer Serpentine Brackets


I wanted a serpentine system, especially since my old 3g alternator squealed with the old V-Belts. Let's face it, v-belts just suck.


I got the brackets from a fresh kill for $25 (I asked the salesman before he saw them) at the local yard. The fresh kill approach seems like the only way to go since the yards typically recycle these right away.






I went with the newer pump not only because it fits the brackets, but the flow pressure is much lower than the early pump. The lower pressure will make for a much more modern feel in the steering when combined with the Randall's rack I installed two years ago. I did need a rather bizarre combination of adaptors to fit the hose. I got them locally at a hose and fitting shop, they cost around $14.


The alternator set me back $36; the pump was about the same.



You'll notice there isn't exactly a lot of clearance for the vacuum advance with the bracket. I'm running 15 degrees initial, so I might get away with it. Otherwise, I'll have to get creative with the angle grinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment